[sib-access] Fw: Sibelius Blog

Sibelius BlogUpdate available for Sibelius 7.
Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630, currently not nearly close enough for my comfort to
my Audio Recording and Mixing Studios, San Francisco Bay Area. But I'll try to
remedy that situation.

----- Original Message -----
From: Sibelius Blog
To: dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 15:31
Subject: Sibelius Blog

      Sibelius Blog

      Sibelius 7.0.1 update now available

      Weâ??ve today made available a minor update to Sibelius 7 that addresses
some initial issues found in the product since it was released to manufacturing
just over a month ago, and since its public release just under three weeks ago.

      Sibelius 7.0.1 is available as a free, downloadable update for existing
Sibelius 7 users. If youâ??re still using the 30-day trial version of Sibelius
7, you can also download and install the update to benefit from the fixes in
this update.

      This update addresses stability, performance and includes a good number
of bug fixes. Itâ??s recommended for all Sibelius 7 users. The complete list of
fixes is quite extensive (weâ??ve fixed nearly 200 bugs in this update), so if
you have some time on your hands, you can read it in full here.

      Also included is an update for the Sibelius 7 Sounds sample library. Do
be careful to only download and run the updater for Sibelius 7 Sounds if you
already have the full library installed: if youâ??re running the trial version
of Sibelius 7, for example, you definitely donâ??t need and should not install
the Sibelius 7 Sounds update.

      If youâ??re reading this on a different computer to that on which
Sibelius 7 is installed, the simplest way to get the update is to open a score,
open the File tab, choose the Help page, and click Check For Updates to be
taken directly to the web site to download the update.

      From today, the 30-day trial version available from the Sibelius web site
has also been updated to Sibelius 7.0.1, so if youâ??ve been waiting for some
initial wrinkles to be ironed out before jumping in, nowâ??s a good time to get
your feet wet.

      Related posts:
        a.. Sibelius 7 is here!
        b.. Use your iPad as a Sibelius control surface
        c.. Come and see Avid at Frankfurt Musikmesse 2011
        d.. An inside look at Pat Methenyâ??s Orchestrion
        e.. Sibelius helps The Sound of Mumbai to the screen
        f.. Come and see Avid at The NAMM Show
        g.. What Pro Tools 9 means for Sibelius users
        h.. Headliner.fm: â??Nobody does it better than Sibeliusâ??
        i.. An afternoon at Abbey Road Studios
        j.. Sibelius 6.2 update now available

      Gutbucket rocks REDCAT at Disney Hall, with a little help from Sibelius

      The incomparable Gutbucket (Photo courtesy Natascha Rockwin)

      Gutbucket are a four-piece band from Brooklyn who, in the words of Chris
Barton of the LA Times, work â??a jagged yet fertile seam between jazz and
rock.â?? This past May, they played at REDCAT â?? the Roy and Edna Disney
CalArts Theater in the Disney Concert Hall complex in downtown Los Angeles â??
with the Gutbucket Chamber Orchestra, a 12-piece ensemble augmenting their
usual line-up.

      I spoke to Gutbucketâ??s saxophonist, Ken Thomson, about putting the
concert together, and how Sibelius played a role in helping Gutbucket rock
REDCAT.

      â??It was 11pm and weâ??d finished day one of rehearsals and gotten back
to our hotel after dinner,â?? he relates. â??The first rehearsal of the
Gutbucket Chamber Orchestra went well.. but, almost too well. Though weâ??ve
been touring for 12 years as a quartet, this â??orchestralâ?? project began as
a way to realize, live, our heavily-layered 2009 disc, A Modest Proposal. When
we created charts for the premiere two years ago, we brought in a big cast of
serious NYC musicians and had people enter and leave the stage as different
parts were needed for different tunes. We had a virtuoso horn section; multiple
guitars, keyboards, and basses; extra melodic and non-pitched percussion; and
sometimes all of it combined.â??

      Now Gutbucket had the opportunity to work with students from CalArts in
LA to present the project live again. â??We werenâ??t sure how it would go,â??
says Ken. He neednâ??t have worried.

      â??Well, they came ready to play,â?? he grins. â??When we got there on
Day 1 and everyone could handle what we gave them, we realized there was a lot
more potential in this 12-person group.  That night, we took out four laptops
with four versions of Sibelius, and got to work. We went through each tune and
decided what needed to be done. I wanted to make sure the wind players were
busy; we wanted to ensure that the percussionist had some more challenging
notes to playâ?¦ and, artistically, we wanted to achieve the grandest version
of these tunes we could.â??

      Ken, Eric, Adam and Ty resolved to have new music on the stands ready for
the start of rehearsals the next morning.

      â??There we were, 11pm, crammed into a hotel room, and went through each
tune and made a game plan,â?? Ken continues. â??We each started adding to
different arrangements and passing files along. As we each changed
arrangements, we could make sure that the Dynamic Parts stayed coherent with
ease. Magnetic Layout helped us not have to go crazy with placing every
crescendo. I would write some horn parts on Tyâ??s tune, and pass it back to
him for more guitar layering; I sent my parts out to Eric so he could check the
bass guitar parts, before he sent his tune over to me to double check the bass
clarinet writing.

      â??And, by the next morning, it was doneâ?¦ we emailed a ton of new music
out that night, and got to work for day two of rehearsals.  Adam even managed
to get an expanded version of a new tune, off our new disc, Flock, out to the
group.â??

      The end result was a concert that the LA Times called â??an undoubtedly
wild ride,â?? which delighted the group.

      â??I can honestly say that this night, and the ensuing concert,
wouldnâ??t have been possible without Sibelius,â?? concludes Ken. â??The ease
of use combined with all the features in the box made this expanded vision,
alongside all the complicated music we write, doable.â??

      You can find out all about Gutbucket at their web site, Facebook page, or
by following @gutbucketnyc. Buy their new disc, Flock, right here.

      Related posts:
        a.. Sibelius helps eight-year-old composerâ??s Earthquake Symphony to
the stage
        b.. Vancouver Symphony Orchestra reads studentâ??s Sibelius score
        c.. Long-lost trombone concerto revived with a little help from Sibelius
        d.. Renée Fleming sings Wayne Shorterâ??s premiere thanks to Sibelius
        e.. Bobby McFerrin and Gil Goldsteinâ??s Chopin collaboration in concert
        f.. Jeff Wayneâ??s War Of The Worlds live tour scored in Sibelius
        g.. Schools Prom tribute to Michael Jackson scored in Sibelius
        h.. Classic childrenâ??s TV music to be performed in London
        i.. The Bays and The Heritage Orchestra at Kings Place this Saturday
        j.. Jazz legend Bob James in concert, with a little help from Sibelius

      You are subscribed to email updates from Sibelius Blog
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery