[sib-access] Re: Changing instrument names

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:55:17 +0100

Beccy,

I'm going to assume that you've already got music on the staff whose
instrument you want to rename.

The best way is to use the edit instruments dialog to create a
New instrument with the name you want. This "new" instrument will then be
available in all future scores that use the same house style.  You can then
just add an instrument change at the start of the score so that the staff is
now using the new instrument.

1. Select the staff from start to end. (Just select a note and then press
Ctrl+Shift+Home and then Ctrl+Shift+End.)
2. Choose House Style > Edit Instruments.
3. The instrument which was being used in the bar you selected should be
selected in the lists.
4. Press Alt+N for new instrument.
5. You'll be asked to confirm if you want to proceed. Choose yes.
6. The dialog that opens is a big one but you only need the first five edit
boxes.
7. Dialog name is the name that will appear in the instruments dialog. Full
name is the name along side the first system. Short name is the name that
appears along side the following systems. Name change is the name that
appears above the first note after changing to this instrument in mid-score.
Name change warning is the name that appears above the last note before
changing to this instrument mid-score.
8. After filling in all the boxes press OK.
9. You'll be put back in the edit instruments dialog.
10. Press the close button.
11. Back in the score choose Create > Other > Instrument Change.
12. Choose the newly created instrument and press Enter.

There is another faster way, but it has some limitations. It involves
running a plug-in to change the name of the staff, rather than changing the
name of the instrument. The limitations are that the new instrument name
will not be available in other scores, so if you need this new instrument in
future scores, don't use this method. Also, the new name may not appear
correctly after instrument changes mid-score.

Personally, I'd always use the first approach of creating a new instrument
but I appreciate that it's a little long winded. So, I'm including this
approach for those who just want a quick fix.

1. Press Ctrl+F1 to open the Access menu.
2. Choose staff names and press Enter.
3. The dialog that opens gives you a list of instrument names. Choose the
want you want to change and then tab to the edit box called full name.
4. Type in the name that will appear along side the first system.
5. Tab to the short name box and type in the name that will appear along
side the other systems.
6. Press the change button.
7. Press the close button.

Dan Rugman

Visit www.musicaccess.co.uk
for visually-impaired musicians and home of Sibelius Access