[sib-access] Re: [Bulk] Notation Of Drum Kit - Sticks versus Brushes

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:14:31 -0000

Annabelle,

As I've said before, this is not a software question at the moment. You need
to find out how sighted drummers would want this to be written down. If you
don't know any sighted drummers who know the notation, try researching it on
the internet, or find a teacher who knows about drum notation. Once you have
a description of how the notation works, we can then start giving you more
specific advice on how to accomplish it.

You also have to remember that percussion notation has very few standards.
This is why so much percussion in Sibelius doesn't playback automatically.
The Sibelius programmers know that there are weak standards and have left it
up to the user to decide how things should work.

If I had to make up the notation, which is often the case, I'd use normal
(round) note heads for taps and crossed note heads for swirls. In any case,
you'll have to attach a key to the front of the score so it's clear what you
mean.

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk