[SI-LIST] time domain simulation of s-parameter

  • From: "Madhavan Swaminathan" <madhavan.swaminathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:10:25 -0500 (EST)

Dear Folks,

A lot of these issues such as passivity, causality, transfer function
causality etc are discussed in the book "Power Integrity Modeling and
Design for Semiconductors and Systems"
www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0136152066
There is in fact an entire chapter on time domain simulation methods
dedicated to this topic.

There is also a website www.powerintegrity.net where you can download
software and reproduce some of the examples in the book.

Regards,
Swami

> Thank you all for responding to my query.
> Actually no tool is perfect in this world. Each one has its own plus and
> minus points.
> Power SI is limited with number of ports, As number of ports increases,
> its
> a complete mess..
> HFSS is good for higher frequencies, but not good for lower freq. so
> transient simulation of s-parameter from HFSS is certainly not good.
> Q3D is limited to lower frequencies and also on the size of structure.
> Ansoft claims that they have the best algorithms to solve such kind of
> problems, but they put the condition that one should use all the tools
> (HFSS, Q3D, Nexxim) only from ansoft. This seems to me just a marketing
> gimmicks.. nothing else..
> Now let me come to my problem statement.
>  I was interested to use ADS for transient simulation after s-parameter
> extraction of the signal nets including power plane from Power SI.  I got
> my
> simulation running after lot of experimentation in convolution tab.  my
> colleague tried ADS on Power plane related transient simulation after
> s-parameter from Power SI. Initially, he extracted power plane model till
> 2GHz, ADS simulation did not converge. Later he extracted till 5Ghz, then
> he
> got the simulation going with some changes in convolution tab options.
> ADS is able to handle such problems, but we had to lot of manual labour..
> really dont know about the robustness of algo.
>
> Thank you all once again
> --Sanjeev
>

> On 12/4/07, Michael Tsuk <mtsuk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello All
>> > I am trying to do time domain simulation using Agilent ADS after =
>> > extracting s-parameter model from Power SI.
>> > But, i am getting lot of convergence issue. Simulation gets terminated
>> > immediately.  I do not get any time domain waveform.
>> > kindly suggest a solution.. which tool can solve such problem very
>> > efficiently?
>> > Thanks in advanve
>> > Sanjeev
>>
>> Sanjeev,
>>
>> Although I'm not an expert user of either Power SI or ADS, I have some
>> suggestions that might help you resolve your difficulty.  I've been
>> leading
>> the research on transient simulation of S-parameters for the Nexxim
>> circuit
>> simulator team at Ansoft for the past several years.  We've had
>> significant
>> success in creating algorithms for robust transient simulation, and the
>> work
>> has deepened my appreciation for the intricacies of this type of
>> problem.
>>
>> To me, it sounds very much like you have a passivity or causality
>> problem
>> with the 3D extraction from your EM tool, which is causing the non
> [...]

Madhavan Swaminathan
Joseph M. Petit Professor in Electronics
Deputy Director, Microsystems Packaging Research Center
School of Electrical and Computer Engg.
777, Atlantic Drive
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0250