[SI-LIST] Re: thermal relief

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gareth.Baron@xxxxxxx, <jan.gillis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:44:09 -0700

Gareth, I agree with your advice that thermal relief should only be used
where needed.  But the effects are not as terrible for the leaded component
as you make them sound.

You can estimate the effects rather easily by looking at the spreading
resistance and inductance for a solid ring with the via ID, and the spoke
width for the OD, and then just multiply that up by the area difference
between the ring and the spoke areas.  Leaded components that would be
impedance sensitive like VRM modules are usually handled with a patch of
vias.  In that case, relieving the component via has almost no effect.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: