[SI-LIST] Re: stripline return paths etc.

This is an interesting and important question.  The further away a split
plane is from a signal trace, the less effect it will have on the trace.
 The closest reference plane carries most of the return current, no
matter what voltage level it happens to be.

An accurate way to model a 50 Ohm microstrip transmission line is with a
pair of transmission lines in parallel: one T-line for the lower
reference plane and another T-line for the upper reference plane.  If
the 50 Ohm line happens to be exactly in the center of the two reference
planes, is represented by a two 100 Ohm T-lines in parallel.  The return
current on each of the 100 Ohm T-lines represents the return current
that is on the respective reference planes.  This is very useful if you
are trying to establish the amount of power plane bounce that will occur
at the ends of the transmission lines when the signal goes through a
via.  (If both reference planes happen to be ground and you stitch the
planes together with ground vias at each end of the T-line, there is no
plane bounce, which is the beauty of ground referenced signals.  Some
would recommend a decoupling capacitor if one of the reference planes is
power rather than ground, but it will not be very effective at GHz edge
rates).

If the stackup is asymmetric and the T-line is much closer to one
reference plane than the other, the same concept works, but the parallel
transmission lines are not 50 Ohms.  The plane closest to the T-line
might be associated with a 60 Ohm line and the far plane might be
associated with a 300 Ohm line, the parallel combination of which is 50
Ohms.  The 60 Ohm T-line carries 5x the current of the 300 Ohm line and
less than 20% of the return current is on the far reference plane.  A
discontinuity on the far plane will have some effect on the signal but
the further it is away the less effect it will have.

To quantify the results for your stackup, use an EM solver that will
allow 3 conductors and allow ground to be at infinity.  The solver
should give you 3x3 matrices for L and C for the signal, upper plane and
lower plane.  Find the mutual inductance and mutual capacitance from
the trace to each plane.  The impedance of the transmission line
associated with each plane is sqrt(L/C) for the appropriate mutual terms.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

Bharathan, Jayapratap wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have this general question with me. (I'm a beginner)
> Suppose, if a High Frequency Signal Line is surrounded by a solid GND
plane
> on one side and a SPLIT GND plane on the other side, & supposing that the
> solid GND plane is closer to the signal Line, the return path will be
thru
> the solid GND plane, since the High Frequency Signal takes the path of
least
> inductance (a smaller loop).
>
> If this is the case, will it still matter if a high frequency signal Line
> has a split plane next to it?
>
> Thank you,
>
> -JP
> (Bharathan, Jayapratap)