[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V3 #194

  • From: "Sainath Nimmagadda" <gigabit@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:01:23 -0800

Michael Smith,

>By your logic, if
>I could find a different but equally wrong way of calculating the
>inductance and it happened to come out larger than the correct
>calculation, then the correct calculation should henceforth be known
as
>the minimum inductance value.

That is what I need. Please give me a way to find an inductance value
that is larger than the correct value.

>The path of maximum inductance within the conductor would be the
current
>distribution which maximizes the open surface area required to couple
>all of the B field. The path of minimum inductance within the
conductor
>would be the current distribution which minimizes the open surface
area
>required to couple all of the B field.  The change in inductance is
>linked to the variation in loop size caused by the variation in
current
>distribution.

I don't quite follow this technical language. Is there a reference you
could suggest me on this?

>Additionally, as has been stated on this thread, the current will
>distribute itself on the path of minimum impedance or referring to the
>principle of least action, the path of least energy; depending on
>frequency this is not necessarily the path of minimum inductance.

We all seem to agree that high-frequency currents need not necessarily
follow the path of minimum inductance.

Sainath