[SI-LIST] Re: s parameters and transient simulation

  • From: "Smith, David TQO" <dsmith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gstokes@xxxxxxxxx,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:39:53 -0800

There is a lenghtier followup paper, posted here (reference 7):

        http://vision.lakeheadu.ca/publications

These papers provide the basic understanding you need to
use S-parameter matricies in a circuit simulator.  You have
to avoid making circuits that allow communications (i.e.
current flow) between spacially separated ports.  (EM
simulations use ports,  Circuit simulation uses nodes
or terminals).

Yes, the results can be confusing if you don't keep in
mind that the circuit voltages are not absolute - even
though they seem to be in the circuit simulator.  They
are just the local voltages at the EM ports.  Thus,  you
might apply a positive voltage (power supply) on one
port and the circuit simulator will compute a negative
voltage on one of the other ports.  This is not a real
negative voltage with respect to the circuit simulator
"ground",  it is just the (differential) voltage at the
EM simulation  port.

Here's the simple case I'm thinking of.  It's a
microstrip with a horizontal "gap port" in the
middle:

                  + port 2 -
 port 1 + --------|        |--------------------- + port 3
        - ------------------------------------- -

In the EM simulator, we compute a 3x3 S-parameter
matrix relating the ports.  We can convert this
matrix to a Z-matrix.  In the circuit simulator
it might look like this:

                        V_2

                 ----------------
                 |              |
        V_1 -----| 3x3 Z-matrix |------- V_3
                 |              |
                 ----------------

                        ---  <-- circuit ground
                         -

Put a short on terminal 1, leave terminal 2 open,
and apply a volt to terminal 3, and get a negative
volt at terminal 2.  Other circuit elements should
only be connected between a terminal and circuit
ground, never between two spacially separated
terminals.  This will insure that there are not
issues with about comparing voltages at spacially
separated locations.  The voltages are just across
the little gaps used for EM ports.

This is a bit counter to how we are accustomed to
thinking about circuit voltages - the voltage that
appears to be between a terminal and circuit ground
is really an analog (or stand-in) of the voltage
across the EM port.   I think you should understand
this principle completely and keep it firmly in
mind to correctly interpret the results of the
circuit analysis.

You can follow up in some of the other references at
the web site to get a better understanding.

Please forgive me if this discussion was off-topic
or out-of-phase.  I didn't follow the earlier discussion
list that you mentioned in this mailing and I am
making a few assumptions.

Dave Smith

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org