[SI-LIST] Re: return current

  • From: Neeraj Pendse <cnepsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:33:11 -0700

Sorry for spamming, folks ... I just realized my mailer is against me
today.
Arrrrghhh! Netscape !!
Thanks Gerald for pointing out.
Re-transmission follows:

Paul,

I do not understand what you are trying to say at all.  I thought that
the driver, left to itself, will force the return current through one
plane. The purpose of the de-cap is to make it return on both the
planes, so that the thing looks like a stripline and you get all
advantages of it ... or for a microstrip to be able to carry both HL and
LH edges effectively with low loop inductance (in case of a S-P-P set
up)

Simply speaking, without a decoupling capacitor, won't we have one of
the  planes "out" of the loop path, because the CMOS driver will be
"off" for that loop?

Could you please elaborate?

- Neeraj.

Paul Levin wrote:

> Dear Goutham,
>
> Inductance will force the high frequency components of the return
> current to be shared equally by the two planes. The decoupling
> capacitance in the vicinity of the driver *should* sort out the return
> current and bring it to the correct voltage plane. Plane thickness is
> not an issue: At these high frequencies, the skin depth is smaller than
> any common copper thickness.
>
> The low frequency components will flow as one would expect from
> voltage and load resistance.
>
> Intermediate frequency components will be somewhere in between.
> The transition occurs in the region where the inductive reactance of
> the transmission line overtakes the resistance (bulk or skin as appro-
> priate) of the transmission line. If you feel up to some fun math, you
> could model this as a four-winding transformer (two windings for the
> trace and one for each shield) in series with voltage-dependent R's.
>
> Paul Levin
> Senior Principal Engineer
> Logic Innovations
> _____________________________
>
> Goutham.S@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In a stripline environment, with the signal trace equidistant from a ground
> > plane and a power plane, what will the return current path be for a H-L and
> > L-H
> > transition be?  Also what percentage of the return current will flow thro
> > the
> > ground and power planes, assuming the return current will be ditributed
> > between
> > the two ref planes. Also the two ref planes are assumed to have equal
> > thickness.
> >
> > Any answers or comments........
> >
> > Regards
> > Goutham Sabavat