[SI-LIST] Re: resend - Specctraquest model: mounted inductance

  • From: "Bart Bouma" <bart.bouma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:53:54 +0200

Boris,
I never read/saw/heard something related to coaxial capacitors from
Murata.
On the net I only found links related to capacitors made from coaxial
cable.
An interesting link is the following:
www.sacskyranch.com/ignoise.htm  (Aircraft Magneto Filters)
"
The coaxial capacitor eliminates the lead-in wire, thereby lowering
inductance and increasing capacitor effectiveness in suppressing higher
frequency interference. The MF-3A aircraft magneto filter should be
installed as a flow-thru capacitor.
 "
It's about low inductance caps for filtering of magnetos in aircrafts, it
refers to this cap as a " flow-thru capacitor".
Is a coaxial capacitor similar to a flow-thru or feed-thru capacitor?
The article describes this capacitor featuring low-inductance, because it
has no lead-in wire.

Can you tell how your idea about a coaxial capacitor looked like (not in
details)?

best regards,

Bart Bouma
MLCC & X2Y appl. eng.
Roermond, the Netherlands
www.yageo.com

boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx

30-06-03 10:46
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please respond to boris.traa

        To:     istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:     "Bart Bouma" <bart.bouma@xxxxxxxxx>
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject:        [SI-LIST] Re: resend - Specctraquest model: mounted
inductance
    Category:

Dear All,
Once I got an idea to design a capacitor with a very low self-inductance
by means of a coaxial construction. When I submitted this invention at the

patent office of my company they discovered that Murata already invented
similar capacitors with extremely low self-inductance. Are these
capacitors already available and does somebody apply those capacitors?

Kind regards
Boris Traa

System design engineer EMC

PDSL/EMC3
Location SFJ 017
PObox 80002, 5600JB
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Tel: ++ 31 40 27 22249
Fax: ++ 31 40 27 45758
E-mail:  boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxxx Seri: btraa@nlsce1

"istvan novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please respond to istvan.novak

        To:     "Bart Bouma" <bart.bouma@xxxxxxxxx>
        cc:     <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(bcc: Boris Traa/EHV/PDSL/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        [SI-LIST] Re: resend - Specctraquest model:
mounted inductance
        Classification:

Bart,
Not copying the si-list on my previous reply that you copied to the
end of your message below was not on purpose, I was just in a hurry
and did not check the distribution list carefully.

I agree 100% with Nick that for the user the inductance number is
useful only if it reflects the same or very similar connection geometry
that he/she uses the capacitor in.

The current loop that determines the inductance goes through the
capacitor, and its external connections.

In the (today rare) case when the external path forms a big loop with
respect to the capacitor body, the partial self inductance of the
capacitor
body is a good and probably sufficient representation.  This is the case
for instance when we use a capacitor to bridge a gap (say connect two
plane shapes) with no ground plane near by.

When we use surface mount capacitors connected to planes, the loop is
formed by the capacitor body, capacitor pads and vias and planes.  If the
geometry is exactly known, the inductance can be determined at any
frequency.  The inductance will be frequency dependent, partly because of
the change of current path inside the capacitor (as Larry described it in
the
ECTC paper), and partly because the change of current path in the pads
and vias.  This frequency dependency (both inside and outside of the
capacitor)
gets small if and when the current loop is much bigger in size then the
thickness of the elements.  For instance, if we use thin vias 100 or
200-mils
apart, connecting a low-profile capacitor from the top side of the PCB to
planes
on the bottom side of a thick board, the geometry does not allow for too
much
change of the current-loop size with frequency.  In this case the coupling

between the capacitor's bottom and the closest plane may be weak, and
therefore breaking down the loop inductance or attached inductance to an
'inherent' inductance (say partial self inductance of the capacitor body)
plus
some external inductance may be accurate enough and may be easy to
estimate.

Surface mount capacitors with aggressive mounting, however, will pose
challenges.  Consider the case, for instance, when the closest planes are
intentionally very close to the capacitor body.  If the plane is say 3
mils nominally
below the PCB's surface, the distance between the capacitor's bottom
plates
and the PCB plane will have some uncertainty because of the highly
uncertain
thickness of PCB solder mask, copper plating, copper surface finish and
the
bottom cover thickness of the capacitor.  The vertical distance of the PCB

plane
and lowest capacitor plate in practice could be anywhere between say 5
mils
and 20 mils, proportionally impacting the inductance.  Similarly, when we
have
vias as close as 40 or 50 mils center to center, the via diameter plus the

drill
wandering (resulting in slightly different via locations) will have an
increasing
impact on inductance.  The number of vias per capacitor, and in case
multiple
vias, the relative position and sequence of vias also changes the
inductance.

As a summary, the inductance depends both on the capacitor's internal
construction and its geometry of usage.  And the more aggressive mounting
we choose, the more important the internal geometry details of the
capacitor
(and of the external connections) become.

Capacitor manufacturers could help the users in the following ways:
- by making sure that the internal construction of the capacitor helps the

user
to achieve low inductance with proper external connections
- by providing geometry data of the capacitor's internal construction
(e.g., by
specifying and minimizing the cover thickness)
- by giving the construction detail and associated inductance in a a set
of
representative PCB connections.  If the options span a large number of
possible
geometries with sufficiently small granularity, most users should be able
estimate the inductance for a particular usage geometry by interpolation.
The
attached inductance could be given in a table, against the following input

parameters: number of vias (and via diameter), spacing of vias, distance
closest plane.  This is still a multi dimensional space, so a careful
selection
and reduction of permutations is necessary.

Eventually I would love to see a set of 'standardized' small test boards,
with
published internal geometry, being available from capacitor manufacturers
so
that vendors and users could have the same exact structures to speak
about.
These small boards could represent some of the main connection options
for the given part.  With standard surface-mount capacitor footprints,
these
boards should be the same for a given case style across all capacitor
values
and vendors.
Best regards,

Istvan Novak