[SI-LIST] Re: remove non-functional pads: measuring via capacitance with TDR

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, <lin-wl_wang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 07:55:54 -0700

Hi Steve,
I'm surprised at your response - perhaps I'm misunderstanding what
you're saying.  I believe WL's original assertion that, when measuring a
parasitic C with a faster TDR step, you'll see a deeper dip, is correct.

WL,
That does not, however, mean you'll measure a larger capacitance.  You
should find that, regardless of the risetime, the total area of the dip
remains constant, and is a function of the total excess capacitance.
With a fixed capacitance, a fast rise-time TDR will show a deep, narrow
dip; a slow rise-time will show a shallow, wide dip.  The area of the 2
dips should remain constant.  In the paper you referred to, this
manifests itself as the integration operation; by measuring the area of
the dip, Agilent is able to calculate excess capacitance.

Given this, if you measure the apparent impedance of the 2 dips directly
from the screen (using rho), the TDR with a fast rise-time will indicate
a lower impedance for the capacitive dip than that for the slower
rise-time.  This is why it's important to indicate not only the apparent
impedance change of a discontinuity, but also the total apparent
duration of that discontinuity.

Jeff Loyer