[SI-LIST] Re: plane-to-plane decoupling

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:23:25 -0400

Vinu

Your statement:

'"A single capacitor will still impose a substantial bump in the
impedance for a single signal.", yes, but the same applies if that
capacitor were in an AC coupling configuration. '

Is just not true.  There are significant electromagnetic differences
between a capacitor used for AC coupling in a through configuration and
one used for power plane shunt applications.

Hint: follow the magnetic fields

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Vinu Arumugham wrote:
> Steve,
>
> "A single capacitor will still impose a substantial bump in the
> impedance for a single signal.", yes, but the same applies if that
> capacitor were in an AC coupling configuration.
> It certainly has an impact but I don't see it being "unusable" as Lee
> put it.
>
> "A typical plane cavity will impose a much smaller bump.", yes, but if
> the 1 sq. in. cavity has to support several links, then the difference
> between (1) and (2) is not as big.
>
> Thanks,
> Vinu
>
> steve weir wrote:
>> Vinu, I think it is more mind set than anything else.  Let's put some
>> additional numbers to this:
>>
>> A really well-mounted 0402 capacitor is going to exhibit 0.5nH or
>> more mounted inductance.  At 1.5GHz that's 5Ohms.  Ignoring
>> resonances, a typical 3 mil cavity even 1" on a side is going to
>> exhibit impedance in the 100's of milliOhms.  So:
>>
>> 1) A single capacitor will still impose a substantial bump in the
>> impedance for a single signal.
>> 2) A typical plane cavity will impose a much smaller bump.
>>
>> Since we are talking differential signaling, the even-mode signal
>> components should shrink at all frequencies below Fknee, so we don't
>> need tons of charge storage. Cavity is going to be more effective.
>> (But I would far prefer a contiguous return in the first place.)
>>
>> Steve
>> Vinu Arumugham wrote:
>>> Lee, Scott,
>>> I don't see the difference whether you want to look at the capacitor
>>> as a series or shunt element. A decoupling capacitor may look like a
>>> shunt element when it is part of a PDN but that PDN could serve as a
>>> series element in the signal return path. So, if a capacitor is
>>> acceptable in an AC coupling role in the signal path, the same
>>> capacitor should be acceptable as part of a PDN that is a return
>>> path for that signal. In other words, think of it as an AC coupling
>>> capacitor for the return path instead of the signal path (US Patent
>>> 7262974).
>>>
>>> For this application, the capacitor only needs to support ~10mA of
>>> switching current at 1.5GHz, and a few tens of mV drop across its
>>> impedance would be acceptable.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vinu

List technical documents are available at: