[SI-LIST] Re: plane-to-plane decoupling

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael Rose" <mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:44:24 -0700

Plane to plane capacitance is indeed a series element.  If it has been sized
correctly on each power rail, its impedance in the frequencies you are
interested in will be a few milliohms as compared to many milliohms for the
discrete capacitors due to their series inductance.

From: Michael Rose <mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 9/15/2008 10:01:17 AM
Subject: [SI-LIST] plane-to-plane decoupling

I looking for some suggestions regarding decoupling between co-planar
plane splits. I'm working on a backplane with a number of 3.125Gbps diff
pairs. I've specified a dual stripline stackup assigned as follows:

1 - P
2 - G
3 - S
4 - S
5 - P
6 - G
and so on

Some diff pairs on L4 will cross power plane splits (actual different
power sources and loads) and I wanted to provide an effective AC path
for any common-mode return currents. I was thinking about placing some
nearby decoupling caps from plane-to-plane across the split. Do you
think it would be better to decouple from plane-to-ground on both sides
to steer the current through the L6 ground layer? L5 and L6 are already
coupled through the inter-plane capacitance (they're about 4mils apart).
Which will provide a lower inductance path?

Mike

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: