[SI-LIST] Re: plane-to-plane decoupling

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:09:05 -0700

Richard, in my experience, linear regulators can be effective for
cleaning up PLL power on the PCB but they are usually completely
unnecessary.  The bandwidth of even a good linear regulator by itself is
still in the audio range.  If your PLL is insensitive to audio frequency
disturbances by virtue of a good loop, then what you are really buying
with the linear regulator is a very expensive series L/R that works with
the bypass caps on the PLL side to filter noise from the dirty digital
realm.  With a little care you can usually save a lot of: board
real-estate, money, and complication by designing a passive filter to do
the same or better job.

Steve.

Richard Jungert wrote:
> Mike.
>
> I would recommend putting the PLL circuit near the edge of the board and also
> cut a power and ground plane split 270 degrees around or under the PLL
> circuit.  Cut them both the same shape. If you put it near the center of the
> board there is a very high probablility for much more jitter.
>
> Also, in my experience its not a great idea to power the PLL with a common
> voltage. Put a small low power voltage regulator in to just power the PLL
> circuit and this will isolate him from the rest of the noisy digital logic.
> Power and ground plane noise will sneak right into the PLL and modulate your
> clock.
>
> I have found on three other designs that this approach is very effective in
> cutting down phase noise on the clock circuits.
>
> Another trick that cuts noise on ground/power planes is decoupling with caps
> out to the chassis ground.  Decouple out to the chassis ground and watch the
> noise decrease. This is also a trick used to supress EMC problems.
>
> Richard Jungert
>

>> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: plane-to-plane decoupling
>> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:14:31 -0500
>> From: zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx
>> To: mrose@xxxxxxxxxxxx; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> In answer to your last question, I believe the lowest-inductance option
>> involves capacitors placed directly between the two power planes (and
>> not through the ground plane).
>>
>> That said, the scenario scares me.
>>
>> For many components that require multiple planes (e.g., FPGAs w/
>> SerDes), some of their supplies are very sensitive to noise.  For
>> example, nearly all SerDes cores have an analog supply for phase-locked
>> loops (PLLs), and noise injected into them can severely degrade jitter
>> performance.   Similarly, noise on the I/O supply of a parallel bus can
>> degrade SI of the output waveform.  In many instances, the chip supplier
>> provides guidelines for isolating such voltages, often recommending
>> specific isolation circuits.  Adding decoupling between the various
>> voltages will/can defeat the isolation circuits and inject noise from
>> one plane onto the next.
>>
>> Although adding decoupling between the power planes will help with
>> discontinuities of the signals traversing the split, you could be
>> inadvertently creating other problems.  As such, I suggest you look
>> closely at the power planes that you're about to inject noise into and
>> ensure they are immune to outside influence.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Pat Zabinski
>> Mayo Clinic
>>

>>> Some diff pairs on L4 will cross power plane splits (actual different
>>> power sources and loads) and I wanted to provide an effective AC path
>>> for any common-mode return currents. I was thinking about placing some
>>> nearby decoupling caps from plane-to-plane across the split. Do you
>>> think it would be better to decouple from plane-to-ground on
> [...]

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: