[SI-LIST] Re: physics behind EMI powerline filters

"Muriel Bittencourt de Liz" <muriel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

> - What, physically speaking, happens to the EMI energy that leaves the equi=
> pment when I add a filter??? When there is no filter, I understand that the=
>  energy goes to the mains?? Does the filter reflect the EMI energy, keeping=
>  it "arrested" inside the equipment?

This energy is converted into heat, either by the ohmic restistance of
the filter materials as eddy currents run there or by polarizing and
re-polarizing the dielectrics in the capacitors or some other
mechanism. The details vary...

Greetings,
        Juergen
--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel  Office: W148 Phone: +49 228 73 2447  FAX +49 228 73 7869
mailto:hannappel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn

List archives are viewable at: