[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements, now B ehavioral Modeling

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:04:53 -0800

Lynne,
I don't think I/O designers provide IBIS models. I believe I/O designers
provide SPICE deck that can be abstracted into IBIS by the app engineer.

We have to be fair here, while I keep hearing this "I remember this one case
the SPICE circuit doesn't converge, so it must be bad". The IBIS standard
community failed to provide a correct solution for SSO for the pass few
years. I am aware of the late Larry Rubin's proposal for handling SSO noise
in TLC (not even XTK) since the early 90's. What can be done and how long
does it take to become a standard are two different things. Let's not get
into pure academic discussion here by keep say "I think behavioral model can
do this and that". Of course give it enough time and resources it can, but
are you expecting the end user to ignore the problem until the standard
committee settle on the solution ? Worst, to even recognize there is a
problem ?

There is a de facto standard to describe circuits other than i-v curves,
encrypted HSPICE. It may be slow but it gives the end users a chance to
discover potential problems that IBIS can't. That's the bottom line.