[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements

Chris,

Here are my responses.

When we started IBIS, our main goals were not SSO simulations, at least
not the way it is done today.  That's why we put only a partial and
crude solution for it into the IBIS specification in the form of the
[Pin Mapping] keyword.  It did provide some capability for SSO, exactly
with the same thinking you are saying: "at least give you a chance to
predict the problem".  Your assessment that IBIS can't do it at all is
plain wrong.

The thinking in those days was that if it becomes necessary to do
something better, we will add it to the spec.  This is actually
happening right now in the form of BIRD95.

There may be many reasons it took this long to get this far.  One
may be that instead of doing something about it, people just kept
complaining about it.  Another could be that none of us in the IBIS
Open forum are "professional standards attendees", we all do this
above and beyond our normal everyday work on a volunteer bases,
which leaves little time for making improvements on the specification.

The same goes for the receiver modeling problem.  When IBIS was started,
there was no need for doing that, so we didn't put it in the spec.  In
those days most everything was measured at the pin of the device.  Later
we started to move the measurement point to the inside of the package,
the die pad.  This was still doable with IBIS.  Timing measurements at
the output of the receiver are not widely done in the SI world yet.
Since IBIS is mostly demand driven, this hasn't been addressed yet
in the spec.  However, with the *-AMS capabilities we are not going to
need to change the spec any more if it becomes necessary to model the
receiver.  As I stated it before, in *-AMS you can model things any
whichever way you want to.  You can make an exact SPICE equivalent if
you like, or you can write a behavioral block if that is your choice.

Regarding your original question, you have already gotten two responses,
so I will not go into that any further.

Regarding the rest of your questions:

a)  I don't want to go into encryption, because that is a separate
subject all together.  However, regarding my company's secret in
English, or Russian, or Martian, I disagree some.  Think about a=20
simple voltage divider example.  You can write a Thevenin equivalent
for it using one voltage source, and one resistor.  The resistor's
value will be the parallel combination of the original circuit's
resistors, and the voltage source will have the value of the voltage
division the divider gives you.  If you don't know anything about
the original circuit and I gave you only the Thevenin equivalent,
are you going to be able to tell me what the two resistor values are
in the original circuit and what voltage they are connected to?
That's how behavioral equivalents can be useful to hide my
company's secret.  I agree, it may not be always possible to hide
everything like that, and the lawyers may find that my Thevenin
equivalent is IP, but that is a different story.

b)  Asking how AMS can handle gate modulation is equivalent to ask
how the C++ language can handle your favorite software projects.
By the way, the HSPICE B-element has done this for years now, try
the "spu_scal" and "spd_scal" parameters of the B-element.  It just
hasn't been made official by the IBIS specification yet, because
there was not enough demand for it up to now.  However, you can
look at BIRD97 and the comments Katja wrote recently how this=20
would work and how it could potentially become part of the spec.

Regarding your concerns about speed when the simulation deck is
dominated by interconnects, you can actually combine all your
interconnect pieces into one big S-parameter block (i.e. make
a behavioral model for them), and then your simulation is going
to go orders of magnitude faster.  Same principle as combining
the thousands of transistors into a behavioral buffer block...

The equalization stuff or receiver modeling doesn't have to be done
with multi dimensional lookup tables to be behavioral.  This is
exactly where the AMS languages provide a tremendous capability.
You could write FIR filters, decision feedback loops, etc. with its
digital equation capabilities, which would execute lightening
fast, because they are event driven, and don't have to be
evaluated at every single analog time step (iteration).

c)  Again, I do not want to go into the subject of encryption,
it is a different story.  However, when we write *-AMS or AMS,
we are talking about VHDL-AMS and Verilog-AMS.  Quote from the
IBIS4.1 specification:

| "VHDL-AMS" refers to "IEEE Standard VHDL Analog and Mixed-Signal
| Extensions", approved March 18, 1999 by the IEEE-SA Standards Board =
and
| designated IEEE Std. 1076.1-1999.
|
| "Verilog-AMS" refers to the Analog and Mixed-Signal Extensions to
| Verilog-HDL as documented in the Verilog-AMS Language Reference, =
Version
| 2.0.  This document is maintained by Accellera (formerly Open Verilog
| International), an independent organization.  Verilog-AMS is a =
superset
| that includes Verilog-A and the Verilog Hardware Description Language
| IEEE 1364-2001.

Sincerely,

Arpad