[SI-LIST] Re: is clock pair-to-clock pair matching required in DDR?

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <s.vijay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:31:18 -0700

Vijay,

Not sure I am correctly visualizing your architecture, but I assume you
mean you have 5 DDR
SDRAMs on a board, making up a single rank data bus, each with its own
clock.=20

The clocks do need to be matched for several reasons. One is that there
is generally a common
set of CTRL and ADR/CMD signals bussed across all the SDRAMs in a rank.
So you need a common
CLK reference to do setup and hold timing against. Same is true for
ADR/CMD, but this path is sometimes
less critical depending on whether you are running 1N or 2N timing on
ADR/CMD bus. Any CLK skew between
devices will result in loss of overall timing margin.  Since CTRL to CLK
margin is usually one=20
of the critical timing paths, aanything you can do to limit clock skew
is worth doing.

The other possible issue, and I don't know enough about the controller
you are using, or the overall
clocking architecture to say with certainty, but there is usually an
outer loop timing path on reads
which requires a known relationship between the master controller clock
reference and the strobe timing
for all byte lanes. If your byte lanes are skewed due to varying clock
lengths to the SDRAMS, then the=20
byte lanes come back out of phase and this outer loop timing path is
harder to optimize. I'm guessing
this is one reason the app note is telling you to match all cloock
lengths.  Our controller
guidleines also require this.=20

As a general rule it is always preferred to keep all clocks length
matched. The spec you quoted
of 20 mils is a good target. =20

Brian P. Moran
Intel Corporation=20