[SI-LIST] Re: impedance for 10-mile pipe at 120Hz, skin effect

  • From: "George Tang" <gtang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aballe73@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:00:34 -0800

This problem is a little vague, since the complete circuit is not given.  To
model this as a transmission line, I would need to know the signal path and
the return current path.  But the only info given is the grounding steel
pipe carrying the 120Hz current from the rectifier.  But with some
assumptions, it is still possible to approximate the impedance of the steel
pipe.

1.  Assume that the steel pipes are not routed next to other conductors.
This may be a good assumption since the pipe is 10 miles long, so other
conducting objects may seem small compared to the size of the pipe.  At 120
Hz low frequency and with the absence of other conductors, the capacitance
parameter can be ignored for now.

2.  Assume that the soil is dry.  At 120 Hz, dry soil is an insulator (10^-5
mhos/m).  Since there is no conductor within miles radius of this pipe, the
conductance, G, can be ignored.

3.  The exact composition of this steel is unknown, but it is assumed that
its electrical properties are similar to iron, (relative permeability =
5000, conductivity = 10^7).  External inductance can be ignored for this
approximate calculation.

4.  The rectified current usually have harmonics going up to hundreds of
KHz, but for now, higher order harmonics are ignored.  Only the 120 Hz
current is considered.

In this case, all we have left is the internal impedance Zs.

Zs = Rs + jwLi = (1+j) Rs = (1 + j) * 4.9E-4  (ohms)

You can model this with just resistor and inductor for Rs and Li.

Best regards,

George