[SI-LIST] Re: follow up: Re: Query about Oscillator problem

  • From: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ray anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>, <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <tlx6f@xxxxxxx>, <chundis@xxxxxxxxx>, si list freelist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:39:07 -0800

Its in this app note.  What I am trying to say is that the bias type in the
oscillator determines if it must run with parallel or series resonance.  It
would not make sense if the crystal is switching between resonance modes.

http://www.chrontel.com/pdf/an06.pdf

Some oscillator circuits are designed for series resonance and the oscillation
frequency shall equal the

specified series resonance value. These series mode oscillators, however, are
more sensitive to temperature

and component variations. In fact, most crystals oscillators in today's ICs are
of the parallel resonance type.

The oscillation frequency of a parallel mode oscillator is always higher than
fseries. The actual oscillation

frequency of a parallel mode oscillator is dependent on the equivalent
capacitance seen by the crystal.

here is another good point.

At parallel resonance, the crystal behaves inductively and resonates with
capacitance shunting the crystal

terminals. Depending on the application, especially in microprocessors where
Pierce oscillators are used

predominantly, a crystal manufacturer may specify parallel resonance frequency
instead of series resonance

frequency. Since fparallel is a function of the load capacitance Ceq, it should
also be specified along with

fparallel.

For PC CPU clock and VGA clock applications, the frequency accuracy required is
usually not very stringent

and can easily be satisfied with a 14.318 MHz crystal that has been specified
for operation in either series or

parallel resonance modes.