[SI-LIST] Re: follow up: Re: Query about Oscillator problem

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard Jungert" <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <tlx6f@xxxxxxx>, <chundis@xxxxxxxxx>, "si list freelist" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:19:47 -0800

The terminology of "series" or "parallel" resonance when speaking of
quartz crystal resonators refers to the resonance mode where calibration
was established.

Physically there is no difference between a series and parallel resonant
crystal. The type of resonance utilized in the oscillator has to do with
the oscillator topology. Some oscillators require the crystal to exhibit
a low impedance at resonance (the series mode), whereas other oscillator
types require a high impedance (parallel mode) to sustain oscillation.

Using a "parallel" resonant crystal in a "series" resonant oscillator
will result in a slightly different frequency of oscillation than the
crystal vendor intended, but it shouldn't materially affect the
oscillator functionality.

-Ray Anderson
Xilinx Inc.