[SI-LIST] extra power copper on inner layers

  • From: Ivor Bowden <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: clandrum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:24:20 -0800

I will sometimes flood inner layers with extra ground copper. I use
plenty of connecting vias so as not to have floating islands. My main
concern is the impedance discontinuities signals find when crossing over
the extra ground plane areas.

I was considering using power instead of ground for some internal
floods. For example, if the stackup is
1) component / signal
2) ground
3) signal
4) signal
5) power
6) component / signal
I could connect the layer 3 flood to power and the layer 4 flood to
ground. Then I would have more plane capacitance:
layer 2 ground plane to layer 3 power flood
AND
layer 3 power flood to layer 4 ground flood
AND
layer 4 ground flood to layer 5 power plane.
Any comments on why this might or might not be a good idea?
Thanks

-Ivor

List archives are viewable at: