[SI-LIST] Re: backplane connector

  • From: Michael_Greim@xxxxxxxx
  • To: julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx, howiej@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:03:02 -0600

Hi Julian,

There are some tricks that you can play with
press fit connectors that you can't really
do with a solder tail connector to help
reduce parasitics.  I think that the two
most popular techniques are back side counter
boring of the board to remove the via stub
and using a top side blind via that is just
long enough to get past the contact of the
press fit 'bubble'.  The problem with these
techniques is that it adds cost to the board
due to extra processing.  I've personally always
questioned the reliability of counterboring.

The mechanical challenges are always the first
thing that comes up regarding SMT backplane connectors.
Thermal expansion, coplanarity, having something
other than the solder contacts to absorb the force
of mating and unmating  are all big barriers to
adoption of these connectors.  Another issue that
I have heard regarding these connectors is overcoming
the thermal mass of the connector so that the solder
melts but the housing doesn't.  I agree that you
can have an easier time with parasitics.  You can
also have increase routability with these.

Just my 0.02

Michael