[SI-LIST] Re: Xilinx IBERT Testing

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:09:12 -0400

Chris

Steve offered some good suggestions, but, you need to do some controlled
experiments.  You didn't say whether your current experiments were with
just one channel running or all channels.  I'm going to guess that you
have every channel running, since you said "links" in your description
of the problem.  If that is a case, run the same experiments with only
one channel running.  If that works, then your issue might be crosstalk
or power supply noise, both of which increase with increasing numbers of
transmitters.  In that case you have lots of deep investigation to do.

best regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On 7/15/2011 9:43 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for your very thorough reply.  It gives me a lot of things to
> look at.  One thing that I noticed in getting to this point is that
> adding any pre/post-emphasis increases the BER.  To me that indicates
> that channel loss would seem less likely to be an issue.  Would you agree?
>
> Chris
>
> On 7/15/2011 1:19 AM, steve weir wrote:
>> Chris, the maximum run lengths of a given PRBSn pattern are:  n 1's, and
>> n-1 0's.  Failure of PRBS15/23/31 indicates that you have frequency
>> dependent distortions.  Those could be coming from your channel, or from
>> your PDN.  An brief list of things I would check first:
>>
>> 1. Tx eye quality.  This will tell you if the problem is excessive
>> distortion and/or attenuation in the channel.
>> If the Tx eye looks good then you will need to look at  the channel
>>
>> 1.S parameters on the channel from VNA or TDT measurements
>> 2. Preemphasis settings for the transmitter
>> 3. Equalization settings for the receiver
>> 4. AC coupling capacitor values and termination arrangement
>>
>> If the Tx eye is poor then you will need to look at the PDN and the
>> reference clock.
>>
>> PDN
>> 1. Tx driver PDN Z vs F
>> 2. PLL PDN Z vs F
>>
>> Reference clock
>> 1. Reference oscillator stability
>>
>> Steve
>> On 7/14/2011 9:53 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:
>>> I am debugging a board with a Virtex-6 HX380 chip and having some issues
>>> with getting low error rates using the Xilinx IBERT tool.  I can tweak
>>> the MGTH parameters to have zero or near-zero errors for a PRBS7
>>> pattern, but not for longer patterns, such as PRBS15/23/31.  Is there a
>>> particular design flaw that is more likely to cause pattern sensitive
>>> failure for longer PRBS patterns, or could it be just about anything?
>>> The links are running at 10.3125 Gbps.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris

>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list