[SI-LIST] Re: XAUI

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:06:58 -0800

Alex,

When we loosely couple we don't have significant "unwanted crosstalk"
between the two lines in this "bus".  The reason to consider this view is
that in a practical PCB there is only one very rare, and not very sensible
geometry where coupling to each of the two lines in a diff pair and a
aggressor / victim is even close to being equal.  The idea that diff. pairs
have better immunity / susceptibility to aggressors is almost always
guaranteed to be wrong.  So, that reduces the diff pair to a two signal bus
with very tight timing match requirements.  When we loosely couple the
members of this bus, each line only has one significant propagation
mode.  And, in that case, the effective impedance  between the lines is
just twice the even mode, 100ohms.  Our efforts are then directed at
meeting that tight timing match requirement.

When we couple tightly we have two impedances to manage, and losses can be
higher as well due to proximity.  So instead of primarily concerning
ourselves with matching the flight times, we also have to worry about more
impedance discontinuities and sometimes higher loss.  That makes tightly
coupled more complicated to get right than loosely coupled.  Lee strongly
advocates against intentional tight coupling for the mistaken idea that it
will result in improved immunity / susceptibility that it does not
significantly improve.

I, along with many others agree that loose coupling is easier to get
right.  So if you have the space to loosely couple, that is a good approach.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org