[SI-LIST] Why should we tie AGND and DGND

Hi Virtuosi,

I did a design a couple of days back, which popped this question in my
mind,

The design had both analog and digital circuits so I gave separate GND
references for both the circuits.I isolated analog circuits from DGND
by giving clearance for them in DGND.After everthing was over,I was
instructed to tie up AGND and DGND through an on board jumper.

My question is,

If the original intention is to tie both the GNDs together why was I
instructed to provide clearance for the Analog circuits in DGND area
and then tied together using a jumper,what difference does it make.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of tying AGND and DGND
together?

Thanks in advance.
Nikita.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: