[SI-LIST] Re: Why shielded twisted-pair is still twisted?

  • From: "Xu, Catherine (ICS)" <xu@xxxxxx>
  • To: Neo <neoflash2008@xxxxxxxxx>, List Si <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 22:54:20 +0000

Hi, Neo,

Very interesting question and I am sure you will receive some excellent
feedback from cable experts on the Si-list.

Several factor to consider:

1) shielding reduces electric couple ( xtalk ) due to mutual capacitance, while
twist reduce magnetic coupling due to mutual inductance. Depends on how the
shield was terminated in the system, and what other conductors run inside the
shield, conductors within a shield can still be exposed to mutual inductance
coupling, hence the need for twist.

2) twisted pair is a preferred ( or more balanced ) differential link compare
to coaxial, as the two conductors in a twisted pair are more equal/balanced.

Catherine Xu
Lead HW Design Engineer, Ph.D
HP ICS  CHIL - San Diego