[SI-LIST] Re: Why did my measurement work?

  • From: Sen Velmurugan <sen.velmurugan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:14:55 -0700

Hi Iain
When you touch down the probe leads, there is current flow
1. To/From the Board GND to the input amplifier GND
2. Board GND to input attenuator of the probe to the input amplifier GND
3. The i/p amplifier measure the voltage across the i/p impedance seen deep
inside the scope at i/p amplifier.
The reason is scope i/p GND is not exactly at 0.00000000V, the board GND w.r.t
scope GND is not at 0.000V
Now you can create an equivalent circuit model involving all the parasitic, use
loop current and node voltage analysis to know what the scope is "seeing".
Assuming scope is measuring all w.r.t to its zero voltage,
what it is displaying is GND noise w.r.t scope GND not w.r.t your board GND ;-)

Thanks
Sen