[SI-LIST] Re: Why crosstalk calculation does not count into trace width?

  • From: "Hargin, Bill" <bill_hargin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Ho.Jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Ho.Jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Allen_Wang@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:45:13 -0700

Hi Allen:

Wider traces increase capacitive coupling with the adjacent reference plane.
With the Widths and Spacing you've outlined it's hard to see the difference,
though.  The trace is coupling so closely to the plane that it's hardly coupled
to the victim which is 15 mils away.  If you move the traces closer together,
and make the width difference more significant (for comparison), it's easy to
see the trace-to-trace coupling (crosstalk) difference.

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
W = 8 mils, Spacing = 5 mils; blue e-field lines show coupling to plane;
Obviously, at 15 mil spacing the coupling (crosstalk) would be even lower.

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
W = 5 mils, Spacing = 5 mils; blue e-field lines show relatively stronger
coupling between traces due to reduced coupling with the plane.

(Screen shots from LineSim.)

Bill Hargin
Mentor Graphics Corp.
Systems Design Division