[SI-LIST] Re: Why Termination at Both End ?

  • From: Rajan Hansa <all.si.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:43:59 +0530

Thanks everyone for clearing my doubt !!
I have one more question, I know it may look silly and is very basic but I
am sure experts here can enlighten me.  Can anyone explain that why it?s
said that transmission line can be modeled as distributed RLGC model ?  Ok I
know distributed model has high bandwidth but why distributed ckt has more
bandwidth than lumped ckt ? Why minimum 10 LC sections are needed for
transmission line ?

Rajan

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Rohit MISHRA <rohit.mishra@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Rajan,
>
> Here's my 2 cents :
>
> I believe you can use a receiver without matching it's input impedance with
> transmission line impedance But Only If the system satisfies these
> conditions :
>
>     1) Transmitter is connected to single receiver.
>     2) Transmission line is a controlled impedance line and has no
> unintentional impedance discontinuities(like via, stub, package lead, etc)
>
> In real system even though board is designed with controlled-impedance
> traces, there is still the opportunity for a signal to see an unintentional
> impedance discontinuity and in this case just source termination won't stop
> the ringing that's why termination at both end.
>
> Rohit

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: