[SI-LIST] Re: Why Termination at Both End ?

  • From: Rohit MISHRA <rohit.mishra@xxxxxx>
  • To: Rajan Hansa <all.si.list@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 18:25:51 +0800

Rajan,

Here's my 2 cents :

I believe you can use a receiver without matching it's input impedance with
transmission line impedance But Only If the system satisfies these conditions :

     1) Transmitter is connected to single receiver.
     2) Transmission line is a controlled impedance line and has no
unintentional impedance discontinuities(like via, stub, package lead, etc)

In real system even though board is designed with controlled-impedance traces,
there is still the opportunity for a signal to see an unintentional impedance
discontinuity and in this case just source termination won't stop the ringing
that's why termination at both end.

Rohit