[SI-LIST] Re: Which tool is the best

Michael,

I didn't know simulation products needed "calibration".  What would you
suggest the
calibration schedule to be?  About once a year... say about the time for
paying for the
maintenance contract?  I was also wondering if you sold maintenance
contracts on
"brain calibrations".  I'll probably need one soon. I hope my model isn't
too old.
I also hope it won't cost too much because I spent too much on my
simulators. <grin>

The brain is an amazing thing... and it loses its edge only if its owner
wants it to and in
a long-term sense as a result of aging.  After years of success, I can only
say that being
"right" is no guarantee for keeping one's job. Neither do simulators nor
proof insures it either.
Sometimes its the opposite... you can be extremely good and folks hate you
even if you're
friendly and helpful... its funny how that happens.  I know because I've
been there, done that.
Nice try, anyway....

Anyway, it looks like I struck a nerve with you.  I was only having a
little fun with the subject
and encouraging folks to learn from the tools they work with and test their
knowledge by
"thinking outside the simulation box".  Most problems I solve are the
result of "restricted
and programmed" perspectives with regards to engineering design (even about
simulators)
so the message was a light-hearted way of looking at that problem and was
intended to be a
service to everyone.  This "simulation mantra" everyone seems to be
chanting is a little
pathetic and a little short on logic and leads some folks to make some
wrong decisions
about them.  Some time ago I saw a company where the common thinking wasn't
working
out well so it doesn't always work out as rosy as some of the pictures
painted for simulation.

I hope you didn't mean to say we all shouldn't use our brains, though.  New
outlooks on
engineering doesn't require us to change physics.  And we all learn from
doing the
simulations as well which might actually mean that in the long run fewer
simulators will
be sold.  Strange but true.  Who will buy them after everyone knows what's
going to
happen?

The truth about simulators is simple. They are only as good as those who
drive them.
They are tools and nothing more.  Even as tools, they aren't perfect. I
know. I own several
(and like them) and have worked with a number of others as well and as a
user of simulation
tools I am aware of what they will do and what they won't. As such, I will
share my own
"The 15 'Immutable' Laws of Simulators" ... perhaps a few will make you
chuckle...

1.  The Simulator Law of User Omniscience
Simulators work best for the user that already knows the answer before its
simulated
and knows what they should expect as a result of one action or another
beforehand.

2.  The Simulator Law of User Ability
A simulator's ability to perform well is directly related to the expertise
of the operator.

3.  The Simulator Law of Garbage In-Garbage Out
A simulator's ability to perform well is directly related to the quality of
the information
placed into it.

4.  The Simulator Law of Data Glut
Simulators can provide you with more data than you really need, correct or
not, as fast
as any other method known.

5.  The Simulator Law of Limited Absolute Accuracy
Simulators can give the impression of great accuracy even though the input
data has a wide
latitude for error.

6.  The Simulator Law of Limited Responsibility
The performance the vendor had stated for the simulator is not guaranteed
in your case.
Any inability of the simulator is your fault.

7.  The Simulator Law of Restricted Application
Simulators do not convey any apparent "veracity" in anything other than the
exact situation
they seemed to solve.

8.  The Simulator Law of Apparent Diligence
Simulators provide an excellent means to make you look busy for weeks even
though you could
have come to the same decision in ten seconds by using your brain.  (Great
to use at layoff time.
No, not the brain... that'll get you laid off.  The simulator....)

9.  The Simulator Law of Apparent Genius
Simulators provides the appearance that the operator is wise and
all-knowing.  This can happen even
though the operator couldn't otherwise remember his own name...

10.  The Simulator Law of Data Quality
The degree of data quality of a simulator is directly related to its cost.
A more expensive simulator
is obviously better and highly accurate simulators also must have high
maintenance costs.

11.   The Simulator Law of Invincibility
Simulators provide job protection, cause all your decisions to be correct,
make management like
you and give you a raise, stops hair loss, and improves your love life. (I
had only 14 laws until you
helped me write this one.  Thanks!) (no that's not guaranteed... your
mileage may vary; see #6).

12.  The Simulator Law of Altered Reality
As long as the simulator results look remotely similar to the time domain
results, the results are
deemed accurate and are lauded industry-wide.

13.  The Simulator Law of Never-Ending Maintenance
The simulator has to work and you need the undying commitment of the
simulator company
to help when things go wrong. You will not get this without maintenance.
Expect to go broke
trying not to make mistakes.  Imagine the horror of being without
maintenance. You are
considered lower than dirt and become instantly stupid.

14.  The Simulator Law of Infallibility
A simulator is never wrong.  If it is ever wrong, its a software bug and
will be fixed in the next
maintenance release... that is, if you paid your maintenance fees...

15.  The Simulator Law of the Missing Vendor
The simulator vendor disappears if the software bug is too embarrasing
hoping that you'll
become stupid and ineffective by not being able to use the simulator and
thereby get laid
off and that'll keep things quiet. (Yes, and your hair falls out , etc.)

So the luckiest folks in the world must be those who work at the simulator
vendors.  They
alone enjoy all the fruits of these "laws" without all the extra expense
and don't suffer any
of the "downside".  All the rest of us poor folks can only hope we, too,
can have a simulator
one day.  Hey, my dog wants one, too!  She wants to become "human"....

There... now you can send the "simulator thought police" to shut me up.  :-)

Regards,

Michael E. Vrbanac

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: