[SI-LIST] Re: What's wrong with this picture?

  • From: Kim Helliwell <kimgh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Reams, William" <William.Reams@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:14:11 -0800 (PST)

It's not quite that simple (though it's what I thought as well...)
Here's what looks like a comprehensive story:
http://www.tech-notes.tv/History&Trivia/Channel%20One/Channel_1.htm

The short version: The FCC got it wrong about how far the signals would
propagate, and when interference became a problem between stations that were
over the horizon from each other, things had to change. So the TV industry gave
up channel 1 in order to gain 12 "clear channels". Seems like a mix of
technology and politics.

Note that channels 1 and 2 moved around quite a bit in the 30's and 40's.
Things settled down in 1948.

Kim