[SI-LIST] Re: What's difference between 3.5mm and SMA?

  • From: "e.sweetman" <e.sweetman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:45:48 -0700

I meant to send this response to the entire SI-List group and realized that
it only went out to Moore Mo.
Eric Sweetman

 Moore Mo,
 Precision 3.5 mm connectors have generally have air dielectric, tighter
tolerences on pin lengths and centering.  They are also more fragile than
SMA connectors.  They can often mate with SMA connectors but only with care.
Agilent calibration sets for their higher frequency VNAs come with dial
gauges to test pin position.  The female short is especially fragile and can
be permanently damaged by a damaged male SMA connector or one with a center
pin which is >5 mils too long.
Eric Sweetman

List archives are viewable at: