[SI-LIST] Re: Wacky power plane impedance measurements

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris_landrum@xxxxxxxxxx,
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:52:54 -0700

Chris,

As others have noted the dependence on the cable location has got to do
with either flaky connections, or a grounding issue between the driving and
receiving circuits.  If you use a 3 meter cable from input to output do you
also see anomalies?  Are you operating over a metal plate like a metal
workbench?

Anyway, the impedance that you need across the ASIC power balls all comes
back to the V = I * |Z|, and dV = dI * |Z|.  The device package as attached
to the PWB effects a low-pass filter that even zero impedance in the PDS
cannot overcome.

Now, the burning question is, if not for power, what drives people to low
impedance?  The answer is signal currents when the high speed signals are
referenced against a power plane instead of ground.  Now to maintain a
tolerable noise voltage, you are forced to tightly couple the power plane
to ground at the signal operating frequencies, a much more difficult task
than just supplying the PDS needs.  If you do that, then you will need to
calculate how much signal switching current you have.  Translate that into
an effective driving impedance then multiply by the acceptable noise
voltage and divide by the supply voltage, and that is the maximum impedance
that you want.

This is the topic that routinely gets Chris Cheng to beat the drum about
the importance of selecting the right plane as the return for signal currents.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: