[SI-LIST] Re: Via Structure

  • From: "Alexander Ippich" <Alexander.Ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:34:59 +0200

Hi Marc-Andre,

this is very strange. I would never substitute a round via capture pad with a
square pad from a manufacturers point of view. Enlarging the diameter helps
preventing break out of via, but as a rule of thumb, we all like nice rounded
structures, not pointed corners.
There is no real issue with the square pad (we use them on all the SMD pads
anyway), but I do not see how it would possibly help with the yield.

One question, what data format did you use to transmit the data? Was it a more
advanced format like extended Gerber or ODB++ or was it simple Gerber with a
separate wheel file? In case of the separate wheel, there is a possibility that
during setting up the aperture table, somebody just accidentially typed a "S"
(as in square pad) instead of a "R" (as in round pad). And this is all it takes
to convert a round pad into a square one by accident.

Best regards,
alex

Alexander Ippich
Sr. Signal Integrity Engineer

Multilayer Technology GmbH & Co. KG

Herrenberger Strasse 110
71034 Boeblingen - Germany

Phone        +49 7031 211 3375
Fax          +49 7031 211 5309
Email        alexander.ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pers. haftender Gesellschafter: Multilayer Technology Geschäftsführungs GmbH,
Geschäftsführer: Werner Widmann
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Böblingen HRA242264

http://www.multek.com

Endless innovation creates changes for tomorrow