From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of johny leon
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 11:52 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] VIA-FillingMaterial

Experts ,

Need an advice about VIA filling methods.

I would like to use VIA filling using 'Solid Cu' for through hole, hidden and
Micro VIAs thinking that that would increase the current carrying ability and
connectivity to the planes/tracks. Is this correct?

My board is a high current board ,upto 150A, but for short duration. This board
gets power through , through-hole VIAs from BOT Layter and transfer it to TOP
Layer components(8Layers). FYI: This is not a high speed board.

I thought of providing Solid Cu filling instead of non-conductive fill for VIAs
thinking that would enable VIAs to carry 'current' effectlively. But I'm not
sure about the manufacutrability and other aspects of Solid Cu filling of the
VIAs. I wanted to fill the following VIAs with Cu :
uVia - L1 TO L2 and L8 to L7
Hidden and stacked with the above VIA - L2 to L7
Hidden VIA - L2 to L7

So my questions are :
1. Is Solid Cu filling of VIAs good method compared to non-conductive fill?
2. Conductive fill means Cu fill or PCB Manufactures use any other materials?
3. Are there any other methods , other than Conductive filling of VIAs, to
enable VIAs to conduct heat and 'current' effectively
4. Finally, Is Solid Cu filling a good method???

Thanks in advance,
Johny.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at:

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not
to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and
any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
taken
every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage
you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out
your
right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
e-mail
Infosys e-mail system.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net