[SI-LIST] Re: Using Current Probes to Measure Cable Resonance

  • From: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ron@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:19:11 -0800

An echo box is a different kind of gadget -- a passive, resonant cavity
tuned to the center frequency of a radar pulse, also called a phantom
target.  What you described is a grid dip oscillator, or GDO, called that
because it was based on a small vacuum tube back when these were first
used.  The meter monitors current through the control grid, a milliamp or
thereabouts when the circuit is oscillating vigourously.  If the GDO is
tuned to the freq. of a nearby resonant structure, the resonator will
soak energy from the GDO, causing it to resonate less vigorously, hence
the dip in grid current.  Eico made one, and so did Heathkit, among
others.  There was a follow on version based on a tunnel diode ("tunnel
dipper").  These days it's just called a dip oscillator, and probably
uses a JFET.  I don't know if these are still offered commercially,
though I'm sure there are ham radio DIY articles for it.  The "external
antenna" is not an antenna per se, but the externally mounted coil for
the LC resonant circuit of the dipper.  Energy is coupled magnetically to
whatever you are checking.  Any EM radiation in the antenna sense is
coincidental.  I have an old Eico 710 in my personal museum; it only goes
to 250 MHz. These days I'd probably try a small magnetic probe on a
network analyzer and monitor S11.  The probe has to be lightly coupled to
get a good, sharp resonance.  A small loop works best.   If you try the
classic split toroid it will be overcoupled, and you get messy results.
Doug's technique is a good approach for multi-conductor cables and for
low Q resonances.  The two techniques should be considered complementary
-- they have similarities, but Doug is measuring coupling (S21) rather
than resonance as such.  It's a better technique for the intended
purpose, IMHO.

Orin

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net