[SI-LIST] Re: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vishrampandit@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:04:59 -0400

Vishram,

There is no strict limit.  The effectiveness of discrete capacitors
gradually go down with increasing frequency.  In real life, all
three parameters of the usual C-R-L equivalent circuit are frequency
dependent.  Moreover, the frequency dependency of R and L are
also linked to the external part of the current loop, which is determined
by the user and not necessarily by the part itself.  The only thing
that helps is that if you intentionally and selectively want to target
higher frequencies with the series resonance frequency, it is done
with lower capacitance values (because there are practical limits
to reduce the inductance) and lower capacitance values tend to be
more stable: the capacitance versus frequency change is less.
But the loop inductance becomes more uncertain: low value
capacitors need just a few capacitor plates inside, but making the
part so thin would make them hard to handle.  To keep the
capacitor body size at the specified brick geometry, the cover
layer is increased.  There can be a large variation from part to
part and from vendor to vendor, making it increasingly hard
to precisely tune the capacitor to higher frequencies in a repeatable
way.  Also, because we cannot reduce inductance proportionally
for the low capacitance parts, it means that Q gradually goes up,
making it double hard to tune the parts properly.

As your experience also suggests, under BGA packages, where
the via field may perforate the planes heavily, capacitors on the
bottom side in the via field still could prove to be a better solution.

Regards,
Istvan