[SI-LIST] Re: USB device cable shield connection

  • From: earl albin <earlalbin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 17:56:52 -0700

Colin:
I read the TI, Intel, and Cypress app notes. The Cypress app note is
certainly insufficient as a guide. For one, the 4700pF cap as shown and as
intended, RF mitigation, is incorrect in that it's really an LRC. Proposed
network couples DC (1-MOhm) and depending on the cap, likely up to about
10-20 MHz AC between the shield and signal grounds. The 2-meter cable is not
an efficient radiator at those frequencies. Again though this all depends on
the cap and the layout. The ferrite bead accomplishes this effect sort of in
the opposite direction

I thought both TI and Intel were generally in agreement, perhaps not exactly
on the values but on the approach. Intel did mention that this was what they
found to work. Likely the first attempt didn't then they made
adjustments/changes till they got it to pass.

So at least you could start with either Intell or TI, better than guessing.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: