[SI-LIST] Re: Turn on oscillation power analysis

  • From: pwelling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:06:31 -0700

Jeffrey,

I had this happen on a project as well. The frequency was 834 MHz - pretty
slow these days. The coupling mechanism was caused by the high AC Collector
current coupled into the supply rail. The AC current looped back through the
Collector - Base resistor path creating the oscillation. I found 2 ways to
correct it:

1) Put a ferrite bead over the Base lead of the transistor - limited the
bandwidth for intended signal too.
2) Added high frequency decoupling at the collector to provide a preferred
path for the AC current to go. This was the best solution.

While my problem was discrete, and yours is a chip problem (higher FTs),
decoupling or providing a preferred return path may correct the problem. You
may want to look at the ground path for the emitter resistor too (maybe
additional vias to limit inductance). The value of Collector - Base resistor
may be examined as well, lower values may pump more AC current into the
Base.

Parasitics are much different, but sometimes the return path is worth
examining (layers above or below the layer).

Hope this helps.

Philip Ross Wellington
Mgr. Signal Integrity & EMI
L-3 Communications CSW