[SI-LIST] Re: Transmission lines reflections again

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:18:30 -0700

Leonard,

This is not a direct answer to your specific
question, but I hope it helps...

If you are a visual person, you can explain it
to yourself by imagining what happens when you
pour water into one end of a long narrow channel,
like a gutter under your roof.

The water will flow to the other end, and when it
hits the closing wall, it splashes up.  Why?
There is nowhere to go.  Imagine what happens
when the end wall is missing?  It flows straight
out with the levels lowering down to its bottom.
What if the impedance is matched, i.e. you have
an identical channel filled with the same amount
of water in it?  The water wave in your first
channel will propagate nicely into the second
channel without splashes...

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=20