[SI-LIST] Re: Traces don't cause EMI - really?

  • From: phillip.r.wellington@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: MikonCons@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:34:10 -0600

I think there are many of us who lived through these early PC days who can
substantiate Mike's (and many others) assertions that a good enclosure is
required to contain emissions from microstrips. My experiences (at another
company) was with motherboards, video cards and monitors (even back when VGA
Video cards had 6 oscillators on them), SCSI, and ethernet. We ran into the
same problem with vendor provided product and tried to find compliant
"hanger queen" devices to perform our FCC Class-B tests with. Enclosures
were always an EMC reliability problem.

Surface microstrips do radiate and their emissions need to be contained
either by planes or an enclosure. The emissions from microstrip traces fill
the enclosure looking for a return path. The image plane can't contain all
the EM field lines. The emissions couple to internal cabling, ungrounded
heatsinks, sub-assemblies, etc, and cause self compatibility and/or external
compatibility problems. This can also happen with internal cabling connected
to motherboards that do not have local decoupling to keep those emissions
off of the cables. They are essentially microstrips without a reference
plane nearby.

A low impedance return path must be provided for a PREFERRED return path for
those emissions inside the cabinet. If you don't provide it, currents split,
and they will surely find the return path that you least desire (Reset
circuits, Analog/RF circuitry, Power traces, etc). It may not be a failure
at the time of test, but degraded noise margins may lead to "spooky"
problems in adverse environments (Electro-magnetic, thermal, voltage margin
sensitivities, etc). Good Stripline (symmetrical and asymmetrical) design
solves many EMC problems. As with all designs, there are trade-offs based on
multiple pain thresholds.

Often, surface microstrips are a susceptibility path for ESD failures as
well.

This has been a good thread with a lot of good input from seasoned, very
talented people. Congratulations.

Ross Wellington
L-3 Communications CSW