[SI-LIST] Re: Traces don't cause EMI - really?

  • From: Raymond Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:40:12 -0700

Anand-

Any chance the radiated cell phone signal was getting directly into the
optical
receiver detector and causing problems at that point? Was the receiver
assembly
sufficiently shielded that you are certain that the agressor RF was
making it's
way into the circuit via the pcb transmission lines as opposed to either
direct
radiation into the detector or perhaps pickup on some exposed detector
assembly
pin. (or ingress into cables leading to your test equipment?) Just
wondering.....

(was the the offending phone a 800 MHz cell unit or a 1.9 GHz pcs ??)

-Ray Anderson
Staff SI Engineer
Sun Microsystems Inc.

Anand Mohan Pappu wrote:

>We were testing the Bit Error Rate of our optical receivers at ~2GHz and
>every time the cell phone would ring, the Bit Error would just blow up.
>This shows that Cell phone EM waves are interfereing with the traces.
>(Since there is no other element which can interfere) And conversely, it
>shows that traces do emit EM waves.
>
>Anand

List archives are viewable at: