[SI-LIST] Re: Traces don't cause EMI - really?

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bdewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"Charles Grasso" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:06:48 -0700

Brent,

I've tried several times to measure significant emissions from a single
transmission line travelling over a plane at the distances above the plane
one uses to create signal paths for logic circuits, the topic of concern in
this thread, with no luck.

I welcome measurements from others that supports the statement that traces
over planes are significant sources of EMI.  So far, no one has presented
such evidence.  Lacking such evidence, how can anyone make such claims?

True, this thread concerns differential signals, but how are they different
from single ended signals?

True, Doug Brooks' paper didn't set out to measure emissions from traces on
outer layers, but it did state that measured emissions were 30+ db below
what a mono pole would emit.

In all my measurements, the lead frames of the ICs are the big radiators.
They make nice antennas.  They stick up above the PCB and they have
significant transient currents flowing through them, especially the power
leads.  Check out a PLCC with a near field probe sometime.

Time for some measurements from those who want this discussion to seriously
come to any conclusion.  Anyone have any?

Lee

<Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<mailto:charles.grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx; >

> > Email Alternate: chasgrasso@xxxxxxxx <mailto:chasgrasso@xxxxxxxx>