[SI-LIST] Re: Traces don't cause EMI - really?

  • From: Ken Hayden <khayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:00:24 -0500

I read this thread last fall with great interest, and I think I learned a lot.
But I
have an immediate application about which I'm still confused, and could use
some help.

This application is for a PCB that will be assembled into a shielded card cage
assembly.  This particular PCB will not have any cables leaving the shielded
enclosure,
but any number of other PCBs in this 36-card assembly could have cables of
various
geometries and filtering characteristics.  (This is a telecom/datacom
application, and
the PCBs are line cards with numerous flavors of DSL, Ethernet, POTS, and
digital
telecom interfaces.)

We have traditionally laid out PCBs for this application with outside planes,
and
absolutely everthing with any high-frequency content was run on inside signal
layers.
Using this kind of stackup, and taking many of the usual precautions, we have
had good
success in building cards that pass FCC class A, and usually class B.

In the current (very quick-turn) project, we will be using an embedded
microprocessor we
haven't used before.  In the interest of building fully functional boards with
good
signal and power integrity as quickly as possible, we are considering directly
lifting
the processor, DDR SDRAM, gigabit GMII, PCI, and HyperTransport artwork section
from the
microprocessor vendor's evaluation kit artwork, and incorporating the artwork
into the
rest of our design.

It turns out that this evaluation kit is in PCI plug-in board format (clearly
intended
to run in a desktop PC), and has the following stackup:

TOP
GND
SIG1
GND
PWR
PWR
GND
SIG2
GND
BOT

This is of course a wonderful stackup for power distribution, but it requires
running
close to half of the signals on the outside layers, since there are only two
internal
signal layers.  The evaluation kit runs many of the DDR SDRAM, PCI, and GMII
traces on
the top and bottom layers.  Only clocks and HyperTransport traces seem to be
strictly
limited to SIG1 and SIG2.

My question is this:  Is this kind of layout likely to radiate significantly
into other
boards in the enclosure (relative to a board with more layers, having added
planes
outside all signal layers), thereby risking excessive CM currents from the
cables
leading from these other boards?  As I have mentioned, we have always believed
that it
would, and have avoided such a stackup. But I wonder if we've been going
overboard and
wasting money on extra layers.

Ken Hayden
Consulting Engineer