[SI-LIST] Re: Timing analysis

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jennifer.maharani@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gregory R Edlund" <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 18:30:26 +0100

Greg,

There is another type of interface, which is still commonly used, the
"asynchronous" interface.
Microcontrollers and DSPs have their local buses this type. You didn't
mention it here, also not in your book. Using strobe signals (write, read,
ALE) to latch the data. Even on high-performance computer boards with
Core2Duo processor on them we have a uC to FPGA interface for the IPMI
subsystem, or DSPs running on 750MHz core, they have a 133MHz asynchronous
local bus for peripheral and flash. The timing is similar to the
synchronous, but a littlebit different. Check my timing calculator about it:
http://www.buenos.extra.hu/iromanyok/PCB_Timing_analysis.xls , or a
datasheet:
http://www.analog.com/en/embedded-processing-dsp/blackfin/adsp-bf533/processors/product.html

And I think the most fun, is to design the board and  -not an ASIC but-  the
FPGA/CPLD code too (for a peripheral residing on the bus), all by yourself.
This happens at our site very often.

Istvan Nagy
Concurrent Technologies, UK