[SI-LIST] Re: The effect of temperature on the speed of IC

  • From: Pramod Parameswaran <eppramod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:42:14 +0530

Hi,

I agree with Chris that we can see opposite effect for CMOS also.

What i understand is that there are two main things which we need to
consider here
1,Threshold Voltage,which exhibits negative temperature Coefficient of
Resistance
  ie,for High Temp Vt is less and for low temp Vt is high..

2,Mobility ,which has positive temperature Coefficient of Resistance.
  ie,normal low temp mobility is more(though there are some very low temp w=
here
  we can observe lesser mobility,due to different scattering effects)
and  for  high
temperature Mobility will degrade...

So if you see vgs vs id (say for a diode connected MOS), as mentioned
in the paper
we can notice a bias point(vgs,id) which is independant of
temperature, MOS diode a simple voltage reference....!!!.

So basic observation leads to the fact that for low gate source
voltages, threshold voltage  determines the turn on characteristics
and so we have lower currents(lower speed) for decresing
temperatures,but once we are in fully turned on condition,mobility
starts kicking in and there we will have opposite effect.(higher speed
for lower temperature)

Regards,
Pramod

LSI Logic Corp.