[SI-LIST] Test equipment recommendations?

  • From: Ivor Bowden <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:10:41 -0700

Hi,

I've been designing circuit boards for over 20 years and my current
approach to SI issue is a combination of rough calculations,
conventional wisdom and experience. Now I'd like to be more scientific
about it, especially considering such things as high speed LVDS and DVI.

To that effect I plan to requistion SI software and test equipment.
Because I don't have a large budget to work with, and not a lot of time
to learn, I'm concentrating on a lower end "starter" approach.

For the software I'm leaning towards Mentor's Hyperlynx Linesim and
Boardsim products which should integrate well with my Mentor PowerPCB
layout system.

My test equipment now consists of 2 scopes - a Tektronix 2236 100MHz
analog with 10M 12pF 250MHz probes, and a HP 1660CS logic analyzer with
built in 250MHz 1Gs/Sec 8bit DSO using 1M 7pF probes.

I would like to add a new test equipment to verify meeting design goals
calculated by the simulation software. I want to be able to measure
impedance on test coupons, as well as actual circuit PCB traces,
connectors and cables. I'm thinking a TDR at the minimum, possibly a
VNA/TDR. As these units seem to be pretty pricy, I'm open to a used unit.

May I have some suggestions as to what would be a good choice, in terms
of value, ease of use and robustness? Can anyone suggest good sources
for new or used equipment?

Thanks,

Ivor

List FAQ wiki page is located at: