[SI-LIST] Re: TDR impedance measurement and rise time

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:34:26 +0100

Hi

Peter from LeCroy wrote:
"short impedance discontinuities... if you limit the frequency content ...,
the bumps get smeared out by the slower risetime and they don't look so bad"

- i think for these Test Coupon measurements is the point not to measure a
real PCB trace with the lots of discontinuities, but to get the impedance
based on the cross section. otherwise we would need different trace widths
for every trace segment and we would need real-time 3D simulationd during
PCB layout design.

Exploring discontinuities on a real PCB (not on a test coupon) is is another
story. I was asking about the measurements for the test coupons (maybe I
forgot to mention). Normally (our) boards  have hundreds of controlled
impedance interconnects, those at the first place should be correct based on
the cross section and test coupons. The rest is design practices, to make
shure we dont deviate too much with discontinuitise. Of course its probably
nice to characterise a full board, but in short development cycles, it
wouldn't work very well. but i dont know, maybe it would...

"Howard Johnson had an excellent video "
- if anyone knows where to find it, i would appreciate...

Jeff Loyer wrote:
"The TDR will report the same characteristic impedance of your trace
regardless of risetime"

- which impedance? the impedance at 1 GHz? or at 10 GHz? or at xxx GHz?
The characteristic impedance of a PCB trace depends on the frequency, since
Er and the loss tangent are frequency dependent, and there is skin effect
and others... so Z0(1GHz) is not equal to Z0(xxxGHz). So if a signal (lets
simplify it) is at xxx GHz, then its terminations should be best matched at
xxx GHz, and not at yyyGHz, so the board impedance should be correct at xxx
GHz, and not at yyyGHz.

Rob Sleigh wrote:
"Yes, it's a very common practice to characterize a PDB with a TDR whose
rise time is similar to the signal's rise time.  It's up to the designer to
decide, but usually pick a faster rise time than the system rise time to
provide yourself with some margin."

-most of the PCB manufacturers we talked to, they never asked about
rise_time or frequency information of our signals, and when we tried to
provide these to them they said they have deleoped their super-duper test
setup which is based on tonns of measurements and it is accurate, and they
dont care about our signal's frequency or rise time, and we should just pay
and shut up... We tried In europe, north america and china. And the best
what they say is they compensate for frequencies up to 10GHz, without
knowing anything about our signal's freq/Tr.
The last one said they can't or don't change rise times on their TDR...

Kihong (Joshua) Kim wrote:
"maximum frequency that may capture the bandwidth of imformation in digital
world."

- I was trying to estimate rise times and bandwidth. Especially at the
receiver. I can't explain why it would be better than at the transmitter if
they are both matched terminated to Z0, but I have a feeling like that...
Normally at the receiver we have slower rise times. For example for PCIe and
SATA, the signal looks sinusoid, not that rectangular as at the transmitter.
So at a pattern 1010101010 the frequency would be f=data_rate/2. For other
interfaces, like DDR2/3, we can get rise times from simulation. So, I would
provide these to the PCB manufacturer to calculate trace widths and verify
by TDR/test-coupon measurements.

regards,
Istvan Nagy
CCT, UK